Is Ricky Ponting

A forum for fans of Australia.
jhones

Re: Is Ricky Ponting

Post by jhones » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Ponting retired from international T2O...is he still playing IPL..??

jsraja

Post by jsraja » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Ya i too agree with it... his career is started shading out,better he retires out from cricket,it will be good for the aussies.

Sparchi

Post by Sparchi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:18 pm

Yeah you'd like that wouldn't you . . . How 'bout Ponting just play with one hand behind his back, would that suit you better? :D

BlackIce

Post by BlackIce » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:35 am

I always say that this is a more complex a question than a simple yes or no. He has some very good points that arn't what you might term "selfish", his choice when he hurt his elbow in one of the WI test this summer not to bring himself back on ahead of Hauritz/Johnson and others was a smart move for him and for the team. I can't remember too many selfish Captaincy decisions of Ponting, and while I would consider his Captaincy any where near that of Mark Taylor or Steve Waugh, he is still the best man for the job. The fact is who else is there right now who you could honestly say would take the captaincy and not affect the rest of their game.

To answer the question in a very confusing manner, as a player he is, but as a captain I don't think so.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm

BlackIce wrote:The fact is who else is there right now who you could honestly say would take the captaincy and not affect the rest of their game.
Exactly there is no-one who is ready for the captaincy of the test side. Michael Clarke can captain the Twenty20's and maybe even the one-dayers but Ponting is the only option for test matches.

Ponting also wants to captain another Ashes squad in England which means he wants to be around until 2013. Whether his body is up to it is another question. Also I don't think Pup can yet command the player respect that Ponting does.

Major Wedgie

Cricinfo vote Ponting player of the decade

Post by Major Wedgie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Ricky Ponting has been voted Player of the Decade by an overwhelming majority by a jury comprising former and current players and cricket writers. see the link for full story >> http://www.cricinfo.com/decadereview200 ... 43957.html