5th Test

The war between England and Australia continues in 2009.
Major Wedgie

5th Test

Post by Major Wedgie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:40 pm

Well, it starts in a little over 2 hours, the fifth and final test in this Ashes series. The poms must win this one to win the Ashes a draw or a win by Australia will see Australia retain the Ashes. Of the first four test England have won one and Australia have won one. Australia are tipped to keep the same team they had that totally demolished and humiliated England in half a test at Headingley. England are most likely to have Andrew Flintoff back in their side and any other changes are anybodies guess.

Should be good. :D
Get your kids in 2 cricket!

Major Wedgie

Re: 5th Test

Post by Major Wedgie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:13 am

Day 2
When Australia lost their first wicket they had 73 runs on the board. Then broad took a quick succession of wickets and Australia crumbled.
This in the order the wickets fell:
  • Shane Watson 34
    Ricky Ponting 8
    Mike Hussey 0
    Michael Clarke 3
    Marcus North 8 (Bad Decision LBW when it was bat before pad)
    Simon Katich 50 Opened the batting with Watson
    Brad Haddin 1
I'm wandering why anyone isn't asking questions about Hussey's position in the team?

If Australia are to get a win or draw out of this match it will require a super-human performance.
Last edited by Major Wedgie on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

pommie phil

Post by pommie phil » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:16 am

I think its safe to say that the baggy greens are being totally smashed by the superb england team.

The Ashes are coming home.

Stuart Broad i wanna kiss yer backside mate :D
Last edited by pommie phil on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
England - Masters of modern cricket

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:18 am

Geez you've been quiet for a while mate.

cricketmad

Post by cricketmad » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:29 am

Well what comes around goes around ! Looks like its Australia who are being demolished and humiliated by England this time.

Ow Major Wedgie mate you mentioed the Marcus North 8 (Bad Decision LBW when it was bat before pad). But seem to have forgot the LBW Decision that was also bad and let Shane Watson carry on batting at 4 instead of him walking. Are they only bad Decisions when they are against Australia? ;)
Major Wedgie wrote:Australia are tipped to keep the same team they had that totally demolished and humiliated England in half a test at Headingley.

pommie phil

Post by pommie phil » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:34 am

Major Wedgie wrote:Geez you've been quiet for a while mate.
England = The masters of modern cricket 8-)

No way we can lose this now!!

How's it goin wedgie mate,enjoyin the match are ya :lol:
England - Masters of modern cricket

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:43 am

At least I didn't offer to kiss Chris Broad's arse. Although I note you've corrected his name now it reads Stuart Broad.

Yes I am enjoying the match, but would enjoy it more if Australia were winning. You poms enjoy the moment, who knows in a couple of years you might even make it two series in a row. The last time you did that was in 1988. Anyhow there's still another innings to go in this one.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:31 am

Couple of thoughts I've had about the English team.
1/. Freddie Flintoff was totally useless for the first innings, Strauss bowled him at the tail enders just so that he could a wicket next to his name and he only made 7 runs.
2/. Half way through the series almost all of the media were calling for Stuart Broad to be dumped from the side and now he's up for an O.B.E.

cricketmad

Post by cricketmad » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:51 am

Can we not have nearly all Australians and Oz papers banging on about the state of the pitch and being overbaked which is why Australia were all out for 160.

Then England come along and get a innings of 373-dec. Christ on a stick, England did not know they were going to win the toss and now they have proved they are at least this time the better team.

Ow the pitch is overbaked thats why Australia were all out for 160 - Really then England pop in for 373-dec on the same pitch but Older.

Talk about grasping at straws for a reason to loose the ashes this time round , how very dignified.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:42 pm

cricketmad wrote:Can we not have nearly all Australians and Oz papers banging on about the state of the pitch and being overbaked...
The only time I heard about the state of the pitch was from the commentary team that we get here in Australia which consists of Shane Warne, Sir Ian Botham, Michael Holding etc... and up until yesterday the were saying it was a day 3 pitch on day 1 or words to that effect.

Credit where credit's due I acknowledge the day 2 crumble by Australia was due to some awesome bowling by Stuart Broad who is unquestionably man of the match thus far.

We are off to a good start chasing in the second innings, and hopefully the next two days will go down as one of the best comebacks in test match history, it's an uphill battle though. Also, I know you don't wanna hear it but, let's hope every umpirng decision for the rest of this match is spot on the money :!:

What chance do you poms give Australia of winning?