Cheating Poms

The war between England and Australia continues in 2009.

Cheating Poms

Post by 10940 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:51 pm

In recent years there has been a lot of shouting about Ponting "cheating" by the poms,so I sat down and thought about the cheating the poms have done in recent times against Australia.
Firstly there was Atherton fielding with gravel in his pocket and was seen several times,and caught on TV camera,rubbing the gravel on the ball to change the surface.
Secondly Trescothic openly admitted he used to carry a packet of mints in his pocket(on one occassion he fell on the field and all the mints spilled out on the grass) and he would rub his saliva on one side of the ball again to change the surface of the ball.
Thirdly in Twenty/20 England would let one of it's bowlers bowl all 10 overs in one spell,then take him off and replace him with a "superfielder"
Fourthly England will often(including Broad last night)let a fast bowler bowl a long spell then take him off the field for a rest and send on a substitute,until the bowler had had a good rest,this act was noticed by the umpires last night and we saw them have a word with Broad in relations to this cheating habit,the rules say a player cannot leave the field(other than toilet purpose) except to have a known injury treated

and yesterday morning,when England were in the fertiliser batting,the batsmen were waiting until the Australian bowlers were ready to bowl then they moved forward to go pat the pitch down with the bat, then again the rules say,"the batsmen MUST be ready when the bowlers are ready
But the most blatant cheating was in an earlier test when Strauss" caught" an Aussie batsman and appealed and the batsman was given out when the ball clearly touched the groung before Strauss caught it. IMO England are so desperate these days they are going to stop at nothing to win games because even with the choice of Commonwealth players they are not good enough to compete in world class opposition.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Pain goes away, pride lasts forever

"In terms of sporting endeavour and prestige, the IPL is to cricket what diarrhoea is to dodgy curry houses - an unfortunate by-product."

Major Wedgie

Re: Cheating Poms

Post by Major Wedgie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:37 pm

Good post 10940, I haven't thought too much about that. Quick question thought: what does 10940 stand for?

I think the word "cheat" gets bandied around too much, as far as Punter goes the word does not apply.
Get your kids in 2 cricket!

cricketmad

Post by cricketmad » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:33 am

I have noticed the England team going off the field for a rest and I agree it is not in the spirit of the game, hats off to the Austalian players who do not do this.

I dont know about gravel in Athertons pocket I read it was dirt, English and Austalian players pick dirt up off the field to get more grip and both Im guessing use it on the ball. They have been doing this in this series but filling your pockets is a bit much, although strictly speaking he did not break any rules by using dirt for grip.

I dont remember the Atherton thing but to go back 15 years to find cheating evidence for your list is very good.

Also rubbing saliva into the ball again I have seen both teams doing this practice. To just talk about English players doing it and calling them cheats is a bit strong.

Also third and fourth on your list is the same so repeating it does not make it two things, but like I said above this is a good point and needs to be stopped.

Also in todays game it was Austalian batsmen putting their hands up stopping the English bowlers half way on their run in. So is it only cheating when English Batsmen do it? :roll:

It seems alot what you have mentioned is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

To answer the Ponting cheat remark. I have never heard England fans I know title him as a cheat. I would question what you read in some papers. papers in both countries tend to write such articles to make the fans get their backs up, its good for paper sales you know.

Welcome to the forum 10940
10940 wrote:In recent years there has been a lot of shouting about Ponting "cheating" by the poms,so I sat down and thought about the cheating the poms have done in recent times against Australia.
Firstly there was Atherton fielding with gravel in his pocket and was seen several times,and caught on TV camera,rubbing the gravel on the ball to change the surface.
Secondly Trescothic openly admitted he used to carry a packet of mints in his pocket(on one occassion he fell on the field and all the mints spilled out on the grass) and he would rub his saliva on one side of the ball again to change the surface of the ball.
Thirdly in Twenty/20 England would let one of it's bowlers bowl all 10 overs in one spell,then take him off and replace him with a "superfielder"
Fourthly England will often(including Broad last night)let a fast bowler bowl a long spell then take him off the field for a rest and send on a substitute,until the bowler had had a good rest,this act was noticed by the umpires last night and we saw them have a word with Broad in relations to this cheating habit,the rules say a player cannot leave the field(other than toilet purpose) except to have a known injury treated

and yesterday morning,when England were in the fertiliser batting,the batsmen were waiting until the Australian bowlers were ready to bowl then they moved forward to go pat the pitch down with the bat, then again the rules say,"the batsmen MUST be ready when the bowlers are ready
But the most blatant cheating was in an earlier test when Strauss" caught" an Aussie batsman and appealed and the batsman was given out when the ball clearly touched the groung before Strauss caught it. IMO England are so desperate these days they are going to stop at nothing to win games because even with the choice of Commonwealth players they are not good enough to compete in world class opposition.

pommie phil

Post by pommie phil » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:23 am

Us english don't cheat. We don't need to cheat to beat you convicts.

We will wipe the floor with you in the next test.

WE ARE SUPERIOR.
England - Masters of modern cricket

Post by 10940 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:30 pm

pommie phil wrote:Us english don't cheat. We don't need to cheat to beat you convicts.

We will wipe the floor with you in the next test.

WE ARE SUPERIOR.
YOU'VE HAD YOUR 4 YEARS OF GLORY IN POMMIE LAND,NOW YOU CAN ALL GET BACK UNDER THE LOG FOR THE NEXT 20 OR MORE YEARS.

"In terms of sporting endeavour and prestige, the IPL is to cricket what diarrhoea is to dodgy curry houses - an unfortunate by-product."

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:13 pm

That might be premature. England could win two of the next three matches and draw one and retain the Ashes and they don't look scared anymore.
Get your kids in 2 cricket!

Post by 10940 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 am

And pigs MIGHT fly,....put money where mouth is.

And as for the poms not looking scared?????? I didn't see a look of confidence on any one of their faces on Monday,I reckon most of their batsmen would have been to the Laundrette to pick up what had been soiled underwear.