3rd Test

The war between England and Australia continues in 2009.
Major Wedgie

3rd Test

Post by Major Wedgie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:30 pm

There looks to be little chance of an on-time start to the third test due to English "summertime" weather which has left the Edgbaston ground soggier 'an a wet sponge, however all reports are that the centre square is fine. Groudsman Steve Rouse has his work cut out. All indications are that this will be a batting wicket and bowling should be of a fullish length as the pitch will take a denting the ball will probably be wet and the seam will give. Bowling will be hard work.

England lead one-nil as two of this 5 match ashes series have already been played. Australia have dropped Phil Hughes in favour of Shane Watson. Time will reveal if this was a good decision.

Australia
SR Watson, SM Katich, RT Ponting (c), MEK Hussey, MJ Clarke, MJ North, GA Manou, MG Johnson, BW Hilfenhaus, PM Siddle, NM Hauritz

England
AJ Strauss (c), AN Cook, RS Bopara, IR Bell, PD Collingwood, MJ Prior, A Flintoff, SCJ Broad, GP Swann, JM Anderson, G Onions
Last edited by Major Wedgie on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get your kids in 2 cricket!

cricketmad

Re: 3rd Test

Post by cricketmad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:51 pm

Weather Update for Edgbaston

Yes the weather has been quite bad this week but I live 20 miles away from Edgbaston and Im looking at blue sky and sunshine at the moment. So looking like maybe one whole day with without rain interruption. Which will be good for you night owlers drinking VB. :-)

Weather Update

Well its now raining cats and dogs. Bloody weather forecasters said we would see no rain today. I could predict it better flipping a coin. ow well . :-(

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:51 pm

So you'd be going to some (or all) of this test then Cricketmad? Ian Botham just predicted this game couldn't start before mid-afternoon.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:11 am

They managed to get 30 overs in and I saw none of them however I think the decision to open with Shane Watson appears to be vindicated. England's decision in past matches to bowl short to Phil Hughes also appears to be vindicated. Here's the day's summary:
* Lunch: Australia - 0/0
* Wet Ground: Australia - 0/0
* Australia: 50 runs in 12.2 overs (74 balls), Extras 0
* 1st Wicket: 50 runs in 74 balls (SR Watson 24, SM Katich 26, Ex 0)
* Drinks: Australia - 62/0 in 14.0 overs (SR Watson 28, SM Katich 34)
* Australia: 100 runs in 24.1 overs (145 balls), Extras 1
* SR Watson: 50 off 89 balls (8 x 4)
* End Of Day: Australia - 126/1 in 30.0 overs (SR Watson 62, RT Ponting 17)

* Source: http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/eng ... 45972.html

Major Wedgie

England allow Manou

Post by Major Wedgie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:56 pm

DAY 2
A feather in the cap of England is playing in the spirit of the match. I've just found out that Brad Haddin was on the bill for the match before he fractured his finger. England had every right to say that Australia have to play Haddin but apparently allowed the replacement with Manou.

Also, for those who were wondering who the hell Graham Manou is, well, all reports say that he is a better keeper than Haddin but a lesser batsman.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:10 pm

Well the first two deliveries I've seen of this match are the first two deliveries of day 2:
Onions to Watson OUT! LBW
Onions to Hussey OUT! Hussey left a delivery that was way to straight to leave and was bowled - top of off stump.

Great start to the day for the poms!

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:21 pm

Ricky Ponting just passed Allan Border as Australia's best run scorer in test matches. He did it in 22 games (I think) less than Border. 134 vs. 156.

Sparchi

Post by Sparchi » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Rudi Koertzen is incompetent.

Sparchi

Post by Sparchi » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:49 pm

The bad decisions are starting to balance out. For every wicket Australia are robbed, there's a wicket where England are not given out.