2nd Test

The war between England and Australia continues in 2009.
User avatar
cricketmad
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:57 am

Re: 2nd Test

Post by cricketmad » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:35 am

Sparchi wrote:We like to refer to the first innings as "the warm up innings".
As you wish Sparchi.

6/364 looks a damn sight better " warm up innings" then 8 /156. Happy now. :lol: :lol:

If this is the "the warm up innings" mate your still in the freezer. :D

User avatar
Major Wedgie
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: 2nd Test

Post by Major Wedgie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Tell us about it when she starts singing. Image
Image
Get your kids in 2 cricket!

Sparchi
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:28 pm

Re: 2nd Test

Post by Sparchi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:46 pm

If Australia don't make another 70 runs at the start of day 3 then they face prospect of following on and having to bat again. I think England should enforce the follow on. The weather was tailor-made for England yesterday, it can really make a difference to a batting side, bad weather, but doesn't seem to make any difference to a fielding side. Indeed the overcast day helped the bowlers tremendously. If the weather is terrible again on day 3 and they have the opprtunity, then Andrew Strauss will enforce the follow on, to do otherwise would be lunacy.
Image

User avatar
Major Wedgie
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: 2nd Test

Post by Major Wedgie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:06 pm

18 runs short of avoiding the follow on, Strauss elected to not enforce. It might have been a good decision from the Pommie captain because let's say they end up with a 500 run lead or more, then they know Australia (unlike some others) don't play for the draw, they play to win and when they go hard they might fall fast. There lead is 210 runs starting the 2nd innings.
Image
Get your kids in 2 cricket!

User avatar
pommie phil
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:03 pm

Re: 2nd Test

Post by pommie phil » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Major Wedgie wrote:18 runs short of avoiding the follow on, Strauss elected to not enforce. It might have been a good decision from the Pommie captain because let's say they end up with a 500 run lead or more, then they know Australia (unlike some others) don't play for the draw, they play to win and when they go hard they might fall fast. There lead is 210 runs starting the 2nd innings.
Just trying to give you boys a chance.
England - Masters of modern cricket

User avatar
Major Wedgie
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: 2nd Test

Post by Major Wedgie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:23 am

Nathan Hauritz has taken all three wickets of this innings. Another Shane Warne?
Image
Get your kids in 2 cricket!

Sparchi
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:28 pm

Re: 2nd Test

Post by Sparchi » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:39 am

Nathan Hauritz is not another Warney. At least not yet, but he is the best spinner in this series, so far.

If Australia are to have any chance of winning this test they must get wickets. If England are to draw then they must time a declaration at such a time as to make Australia believe the target is gettable. Australia will have to be in a rush though.

Imagine this side to be the first Australian team to lose at Lords in the last 75 years. It's like an Australian embassy - a little piece of Australia in a foreign land. It'd be like England winning an ashes series in Australia.
Image

User avatar
pommie phil
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:03 pm

Re: 2nd Test

Post by pommie phil » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:18 am

Sparchi wrote:Nathan Hauritz is not another Warney. At least not yet, but he is the best spinner in this series, so far.

If Australia are to have any chance of winning this test they must get wickets. If England are to draw then they must time a declaration at such a time as to make Australia believe the target is gettable. Australia will have to be in a rush though.

Imagine this side to be the first Australian team to lose at Lords in the last 75 years. It's like an Australian embassy - a little piece of Australia in a foreign land. It'd be like England winning an ashes series in Australia.
Shane Warne is doing the commentry for Sky Sports here in England and he got his mate Russell Crowe to join him for an hour yesterday. Big cricket fan as it turns out is Mr Crowe.
England - Masters of modern cricket

User avatar
cricketmad
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:57 am

Re: 2nd Test

Post by cricketmad » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:26 am

pommie phil wrote: Shane Warne is doing the commentry for Sky Sports here in England and he got his mate Russell Crowe to join him for an hour yesterday. Big cricket fan as it turns out is Mr Crowe.
Phil, Shane and Rus will be seen on Foxtel in Oz. I believe they have the same commentry as Sky. This is to do with Rupert Murdoch owning both Foxtel and Sky.

Sparchi
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:28 pm

Re: 2nd Test

Post by Sparchi » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:17 am

The Fox motto "Fair and Balanced" should be changed to "one-eyed and far right". The name Fox should be changed to "Hitler network".

Anyway do you think that England will declare overnight or bat for a few overs today?
Image

Post Reply