First Test

The war between England and Australia continues in 2009.
Major Wedgie

First Test

Post by Major Wedgie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:05 pm

AustraliaAustralian Squad
Phillip Hughes
Simon Katich
Ricky Ponting [c]
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke
Marcus North
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Johnson
Nathan Hauritz
Peter Siddle
Ben Hilfenhaus

EnglandEngland Squad
Andrew Strauss [c]
Alastair Cook
Ravi Bopara
Kevin Pieterson
Paul Collingwood
Matt Prior
Andrew Flintoff
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
James Anderson
Monty Panesar

Umpires
Aleem Dahr
Billy Doctrell

The toss
Ricky Ponting called "heads" it was tales and Andrew Strauss elected to bat. First run to Strauss. Mitchell Johnson's first over was tidy. Ben Hilfenhaus to bowl the second.
Get your kids in 2 cricket!

Major Wedgie

Re: First Test

Post by Major Wedgie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:34 pm

First wicket falls Alastair Cook is out for 10 of Englands 21 runs. Caught by Hussey at gully, nice catch Bowled Hilfenhaus.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:32 pm

20th over Andrew Strauss out Mitchell Johnson hits Strauss's glove whilst he was trying to duck a bouncer. Caught behind by Michael Clarke. Johnson rewarded after earlier in the over not been given Bopara's wicket with an LBW when it was out.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:55 pm

OUT - Bopara out for 35 caught Hughes bowled Johnson brings Paul Collingwood to the crease, a wicket-maiden.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:04 pm

LUNCH day 1 of the first test England 3 wickets for 97 runs, a great start for Australia.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:21 am

Day 1 ended with the score being 7 out for 336. Following my last post the wickets were:
Pieterson caught Katich bowled Hauritz 69 runs
Collingwood caught Haddin bowled Hilfenhaus 64 runs
Prior bowled Siddle 56 runs
Flintoff bowled Siddle 37 runs

At the crease: are Anderson (2 runs) and Broad (4 runs). Johnson, Hilfenhaus and Siddle have each taken two wickets, whilst Hauritz has taken 1.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:22 pm

Day 2
A fairly bog standard start to the day until BANG!!! 4th over for the day, Mitchell Johnson bowls Stuart Broad around the legs, catches his pants and sort of pulls the ball onto leg stump.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:28 pm

I've only been watching the morning sessions of the first two days of this test match and I've seen three LBW decisions which should have been out not given out. Now before you think that I'm screaming blue bloody murder, this is not my point.

The commentators say there's a rule where the umpire can only give an LBW now if half the ball pitches in line with the stumps. Now how friggin ridiculous is this. Once upon a time umpires gave out LBW when they thought the ball was going to hit the stumps and there was a batsman's leg in the road, that's the way it should be.

You know the rest, video animation is all too often proving the umpires wrong and they are getting scared to make the tough decisions. A new referral system is coming in where the umpire can ask the third umpire things like "Did it pitch in line?". How about we call a shovel - a shovel and a spade a god damned shovel too! The umpires if they are referring anything upstairs might as well being asking the third umpire, with his fifteen million different angles from 25 billion different cameras to call if is out rather than have one umpire call half the decision and another umpire to call the other half.

Preferably I'd rather see things in umpiring go backwards than forwards. Because the inevitible result forwards is no umpires on the ground and a red or green light on a wall making all the decision. Anyway, I hope that ramble was coherent enough a statement to be understandable by someone. Maybe it goes somewhere else, I'm not sure.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:34 pm

England are all out for 435, a great score for them.

Major Wedgie

Post by Major Wedgie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:13 pm

OUT! Phil Hughes inside edge caught behind by the wicketkeeper bowled Flintoff. Ricky Ponting comes to the crease, boo'd by hostile, worried England fans.