Van Zyl takes over as SA coach

Talk about anything not sport related here.
ESPN1

Post by ESPN1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:26 pm

Corrie van Zyl will lead South Africa's upcoming tour of India after Mickey Arthur's departure as coach was confirmed.
Arthur's resignation comes amid reports of an "irretrievable breakdown" in his relationship with captain Graeme Smith, with high performance centre director Van Zyl taking the reins while a replacement is sought.
Arthur's right-hand man, bowling coach Vincent Barnes, confirmed to the Cape Argus: "Corrie van Zyl has been appointed as interim coach, and I have to help make sure we have a successful tour."
A host of senior figures within the national team set-up offered their reactions to the shock announcement, with national selection convenor Mike Procter claiming: "This is absolutely brand-new news to me.
"I always thought that Mickey and Graeme got on pretty well. I, as convener, communicate with both but speak to Mickey more, but I did not detect any strain in their relationship.
"We've not had problems, but as selectors we often had differences of opinions. There were moments during the last Test series which we overcame, but nothing serious."
Procter, though, flatly denied that his own position was set to come under scrutiny, claiming: "It's news to me. I know nothing about it."
Cricket South Africa president Dr Mtutuzeli Nyoka said: "It's sad, especially as it comes on the eve of one of the biggest tours the Proteas are about to embark on."
Arthur is scheduled to appear at a 7am press conference tomorrow alongside CSA chief Gerald Majola.
Team manager Mohammed Moosajee told Press Association Sport: "There is a press conference tomorrow, Mickey will be there, Gerald will be there for Cricket South Africa and we will watch what unfolds.
"I don't know the mechanics and the reasons behind what is going on, but I have been told to come along and I will be there.
"I've spoken to him (Arthur) today. He's had millions of calls but he seems to be in very good spirits."
Van Zyl, who played two one-day internationals against the West Indies in 1992, is thought to be a well-liked figure among the current South Africa squad, having worked with several of the team in his development role.
But interest in leading a side who were ranked as number one in the Test rankings as recently as last summer is sure to be high, with Ashes-winning England coach Duncan Fletcher and India's Gary Kirsten both sure to be in the frame.
Kirsten made 101 Test appearances for the Proteas and has earned rave reviews for his work with India since his appointment in March 2008, while Fletcher has been working with the team as a batting and tactical consultant.